Konstantinos Karamanlis in front of the Hellenic Parliament in Athens
Hellenic Parliament Google Earth
The Hellenic Parliament (Greek: Βουλή των Ελλήνων; transliterated Vouli ton Ellinon; literally 'Council of the Greeks') is the parliament of Greece, located in Syntagma Square in Athens.
The building, designed by Friedrich von Gärtner, originally served as a Palace for the Greek monarch, until 1924, when a referendum abolished the monarcy. For a 2 year period, the building was used for many different purposes -- functioning as a makeshift hospital and a museum among other things -- until September, 1926, when the government decided that the building would instead house the Parliament.
Improvements are ongoing, some of them significant (such as the addition of an 800-vehicle underground parking structure), to ensure that the building can continue to function effectively.
Eleni Skoura was the first Greek woman elected for the Greek Parliament as a candidate for the Thessaloniki prefecture in the year 1953. With Virginia Zanna she was the first woman candidate in Greek history.
1844-1994,Stamp 150 years Hellenic Parliament
an idea to build a palace on the Acropolis, and maybe this would be the place of the Hellenic Parliament
Hellenic Parliament, Photo Alexandros Daskalakis
All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License